Pillar 1: Growth That Makes a Difference
Expanding Our Capacity to Improve Lives
Over the next five years, we are committed to advancing our growth in ways that make a difference in the following ways:
- Adjusting the overall goal for new Senate faculty by adding another 25 on top of the 175 we have hired to date and ensure that the resulting faculty reflects the talents and perspectives of a more diverse set of backgrounds and life experiences than our existing faculty.
- Continuing the build-out of the Susan & Henry Samueli College of Health Sciences and ensure its integration with the expansion of the clinical enterprise, including the new UC Irvine Medical Center – Irvine and the Falling Leaves Foundation Medical Innovation Building.
- Identifying a set of interdisciplinary research and scholarly themes—inclusive of our schools and disciplines—for development into a focused set of highly regarded and nationally recognized areas of campus strength, with climate change and environmental sustainability as one already-recognized area of strength and special impact.
- Promoting the quality of our nationally recognized graduate programs and create a pathway whereby a higher number of our graduate programs are viewed as among the most highly regarded in the nation.
- Increasing the target for overall research awards to more than $800 million annually and invest in the critical research infrastructure to facilitate this growth.
- Developing new targets for student enrollment with attention to the appropriate balance between in-person student instruction and distance learning options.